The Washington Historical Society was founded in 1959, focused on preserving Washington Missouri's history. The society purchased the old Presbyterian Church building at Fourth and Market Street in 1995 and in 2001 hired a full time director.
Besides its many exhibits and archives, the museum also houses the Four Rivers Genealogical Society.
The museum is open annually from March 1 through December 23.
News and Happenings
The April Spring Dinner was held April 9 at the Presbyterian Church. Annual election of three Board members saw incumbent Joanie Lichty reelected while new Board members Bob Monzyk and Terry Wilson began their first terms. President Bill Schwab provided a "state of the museum" report, $1000 scholarships were awarded to two high school seniors, and a drawing was held for the $10,000 raffle.
New officers of the Board were elected April 15. President Bill Schwab; Vice President Bob Monzyk; Treasurer Joe Sedlock; Recording Secretary Nancy Wood; and Corresponding Secretary Nell Redhage. Rounding out the board are Paul Czeschin, Steve Claggett, Joanie Lichty, and Terry Wilson.
The Publication Committee is working on three new books which are scheduled for publication during 2015. "Big Muddy Trilogy" will contain three stories regarding men and events on the Missouri River. An autobiography of Frederick Muench will provide information on early history of this area. The third, not yet titled, will cover the impact of the German immigration to this area.
WOW TOUR (Wheels on Washington) wil be May 29. Tour will cover the western portion of Washington. Call museum to reserve tickets.